Monday, December 7, 2015

Quilt Think II--Inspired by the Ladies of My Childhood

While I love color, there are certain colors that appeal to me more than others.  For over two decades my favorite colors have been violet and teal.  I've made a lot of quilts in other colors, but when I come home, it's to the heavenly shades of violets and teals that comfort my soul--with some blue/yellow in the kitchen because I love those colors, and they're great for a kitchen.

A short while ago, Missouri Star Quilt Company featured Robyn Pandolph 10" inch squares that were so reminiscent of the homes of elderly ladies I admired when I was a child, that I knew I needed to design and make another quilt that honored those lovely women and brought some of those colors into my home--even if they don't blend all that well with the rest of my decorating.


Here's a glimpse of the fabrics in the set of ten inch precuts. I figured the colors were probably not true on my computer screen and guessed they would be a bit dustier in tone, which they are.  I also thought I wanted the plum or rose large florals for borders.  The only large floral in stock was the gold, so I settled for that one, but put the other two on my wishlist at Missouri Star.

A couple of weeks ago, I received an e-mail notice that those fabrics were now in stock.



So what I did was order a couple of yards of each.
No, I haven't had a chance to design or piece anything with them--but I'm fondling them.


Yes, they are delightful; however, one of my Georgia friends ordered the same pre-cut and was disappointed.  I think it's the inspiration of all those lovely ladies that makes these fabrics speak to me.

Happy quiltmaking,

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

They are beautiful and so is the sentiment behind them. And you're right. It doesn't matter if the finished quilt is different than the rest of your decor. It's like wearing jewelry. I don't care if my metals don't match. The pieces I wear are pretty to me and usually have meaning to me as well. And that's what matters.

Julie Kaye from KS said...

Beautiful fabrics. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

bunbear said...

those fabrics are so pretty! glad to see you are back to blogging!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful fabrics Dora!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...