Monday, January 19, 2015

A Quilting Goof!


I'm really treasuring my days off work lately...at least when I can spend them making quilts or visiting with friends or both.  But today, I had a goof like I haven't had in ages....
This is the back of a quilt I began quilting last spring.
I've used a sand colored Magna-Glide bobbin for the entire quilt.  Since all the quilting threads on top have been fairly light, that was working great.

However, Judy had used some 1.5 inch black sashing between the blocks and as a frame around the blocks.  Even if I had wanted to, I don't have any black Glide. So my best choices seemed to be silver or this deep, dark blue.
I decided to go with the blue--but, then I got lazy and decided not to wind a bobbin in that color and just keep using sand.  However, I needed to adjust the top tension so the I wouldn't have little dots of sand bobbin thread showing.  I over-adjusting, didn't discover it at first, got all these lovely ribbons of blue, started ripping, and then I decided it should be an activity to accompany sitting and watching TV or something.  It could have been worse, since I could have discovered it after I'd stitched quite a few feet, but I think I'll only have to rip about three or four feet of bobbin thread.  I remind myself that I'm much more patient now than when I was younger.  (My goal was to have it quilted by 5:00.  Didn't make it!)  Oh, well.

It would have been done hours ago, but since I have a day of, a friend and I decided to meet at the Dough Re Mi Bakeshop in Edgewood for a pot of tea and a scone.  We knitted and chatted and then stopped at the Salvation Army store, where I picked up two sheets, one vintage (and the same design as one of my sheet sets when I rented my first house--long time ago!).  My friend needed to pick up something from the quilt shop, so we stopped and visited there too!  I think it would be so lovely if there were a way for me to work just four days a week instead of five--not something that is very likely for a teacher.

Happy quiltmaking, and knitting.....





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sigh.....the teacher is, once again, the student!!!! Ouch!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...