Friday, August 2, 2013

Candyshop: Two Borders Quilted

The first two borders are quilted.
 The tricky thing about borders is that they really do consume much of the area of the quilt.
These first two borders have continuous feathers.

 The yellow border has a single spine--mostly because I started the second side of the feather without remembering to double the spine.  However, since that border is narrow, a single spine worked out just fine.

The second border is five inches wide, and I did remember to stitch the second side of the spine.

We spent much of the day in Albuquerque taking advantage of the tax-free weekend to pick up several items of clothing, school supplies, and items for Sweet Teen's dorm room.  We had set out in the morning hoping to avoid the worst of the crowds.  Of course, we hadn't realized that one of the places Sweet Teen wanted to shop was opening early, so by the time we left the mall, a good portion of the state's population was there!

After yesterday's off and on rain showers, we were hoping for more today.  We've had several hours of thunder in the distance, but no rain.  Still, the clouds do help moderate the temperatures.

I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll be able to complete the third [8.5 inch] border and move on to binding.  After the noisy crowds today, I really noticed how quiet the treadle is.

Linking to Sarah's Friday Linky Party

Happy quiltmaking.....

8 comments:

Mary Marcotte said...

Those borders are perfect just as they are! Really, the single spine looks great next to the double because the width is just a bit narrower--say you planned it that way! Those are some really nice feathers. One of my favorite quilting designs is feathers because they quilt up so fast.

Angie said...

Lovely borders! I like seeing traditional quilting motifs with bright, "modern" fabrics!

Michelle said...

Your quilting is beautiful. Enjoy the peace and quiet.

Quilting Babcia said...

Those feather borders are perfect, I love the way they puff up and make the quilt look so soft and inviting. Enjoy your quiet day at home, those are the best in my book!

Teresa in Music City said...

My goodness, would you look at those feathers!!! Amazing!!!! I want to quilt like you when I grow up :*D

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your feathers. One of my all time favorites of any I've seen!

O'Quilts said...

Wonderful feather work!! Perfect!

Kathryn D. Duke said...

Dora,
I so enjoyed catching up on your recent posts about the Candy Quilt...what an absolutely fantastic quilting job you have done!!! I seem to get my shoulders all tired when I free motion but perhaps the designs are less tiresome???ANd thanks for your helpful tips on batting, needles and taping too..

Kathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...