Sunday, April 12, 2009

Daisy Windmills

See that teeny-tiny little striped fence between the outer border and the pieced quiltop? That is from a little strip of striped fabric my friend Harriet gave me about twenty years ago. I've treasured that fabric all these years, but it was so tiny I could not decide how to use it. I'm glad I had the sense to save it, because it made the perfect tiny border around the center of this quilt!
This is another Victory Quilt--and yet another Split 9-patch Windmill. These all turn out sooooo different, and they are so fast to cut and piece. Truthfully, this one wasn't that fast to cut and piece because Alex chose the daisies and the lavender stripe from my friend Ruth's stash a couple of months ago. She said she'd piece a quilt top. She didn't; but I was in dire need of some springy something or other, so I cut and pieced it. I had to cut each square separately because the fabric was bits and pieces of left-overs, so although it was a bit slower than usual, it was a delightfully sunny quilt to make, especially during our last couple of weather days.

That's the front and the back. Mary C. took the quilt to sew down the backside of the binding.











The last two photos are a couple of detail shots. I used violet metallic thread to quilt the smaller windmill blades in the second picture, but that doesn't show up all that well in the photo. I hope the recipient will find great comfort and reassurance in this quilt.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...